Monday, February 25, 2008

My opinion about Jim Crow Law story- Shauna

I'm a 45 year-old African-American female and I remember at the age of nine years, in a small town Jackson, Missouri. I spent the night with a family member and on Saturday we went to the movies. We paid for our tickets and I began to reach for the door of the movie theatre and was told by a relative, we can't go in that door; we have to enter through this door. I was then led to a side door and up a very dark, narrow set of stairs. I found myself sitting in the balcony of this movie theatre. The white children were seated below. To this day that memory is with me. I don't remember the movie, but I remember that as if were yesterday. I had never experienced anything like that before. I lived in Cape Girardeau, Missouri and sat where I wanted to at the movies.


I CAN'T REALLY IMAGINE this she paid her tickets same as what white people paid. But they can't go in that door; they have to enter this door. It was like sat on a side door and up a very dark, narrow set of stairs but white people were sit at the another door as clean. I was REALLY MAD at this moment. And she was 9 years old. Maybe she was just sit there.(http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/remembering/children.html#18)

No comments: